6. November 2018
Web design , Website
The audience is more likely to indulge in images and graphics than a bland page full of text and white space.
According to the Social Science Research Network, 65% of the audience are visual learners, meaning relying on images or graphics to communicate or comprehend information.
A graphic may include graphical images, interactive images, textual images, animation, or videos. Graphics offer a versatility that photos simply can’t provide. It adds visual/aesthetic appeal to the information on the web page, helping to maintain viewer interest and attention.
Few Guidelines for using Graphics in a website
- Graphics should perfectly fit in with the purpose, composition, and style of the page. They should enhance the overall design, structure, or information on the web page. The idea is not to overdo it. You should give a thought about what sort of graphics and color will go with your website and design the graphics afterward.
- Always avoid using graphics with large file sizes. Large file sizes add to the load time of the webpage which may discourage website visitors to take any further action in the website. Consider the webpage size and graphics file size. Excessive “page weight” caused by poor image use can result in slow load times for pages.
- Graphics should help to guide the visitor's focus to the important content or section of the webpage and help to drive their interest from the overall to the specific. Graphics must be strong and to the point, otherwise irrelevant graphics will distract the user.
- Avoid the use of loud graphics or overly bright and obnoxious images on the webpage. These types of graphics. These types of "eye-catching" images are attractive but wear off too soon if the content of the web page isn’t strong enough.
- Avoid using graphics as the alternative to textual content information. Textual content is likely to be indexed by the search engine for SEO ranking and other benefits. However, only adding a graphic or image won’t complete the purpose. One big disadvantage is that the Images of text can't be resized like true text, so users with poor vision are unable to resize it to meet their visual needs.
- Provide textual equivalent alternatives for graphic content. Do remember that not all website visitors are able to comprehend the images on your web page. Whenever images are used, it is important to provide equivalent descriptive content or information of the image in a textual format. The most common way this is done is to provide descriptive text using the ALT attribute.
- When using text in graphics, make sure there is sufficient contrast between the text and the background color. Design graphic elements so that users can easily distinguish the text from its background. Also, be sure to avoid color combinations.
There are many ways to use graphics on your website and for other advertising or marketing purpose. You should be careful while using the graphics to convey information.